This is possibly one of the best comfort food to warm your heart, especially, if you love tomato and egg. This Chinese style tomato egg is something you’ll find on many Chinese restaurants or when you visit a Chinese household. It’s fast, easy, cheap, and made with very simple, everyday ingredients. This recipe is very fulfilling and accessible especially for college students like me, it saves so much time and money. This is actually also suitable for those who are studying abroad and alone, this could make you feel like you’re home again in your family arms.
Honestly, when I’m in a hurry I would just whip up this Chinese style tomato egg in just 10-15 minutes, eat it with some leftover rice in the rice cooker, and have at it. You really can’t get much easier than this and I’m pretty sure you already have all the ingredients on hand so enjoy!
Recipe card for Chinese Style Tomato Egg
Yield: 1 person
- egg, 2
- tomato, 1 1/2, small wedges
- scallion, finely chop
- garlic, finely chop (optional)
- mushroom stock powder, 1/2 tbsp
- water, 80 ml
- corn flour, 1/2 tbsp mix with 1 tbsp of water
- vegetable oil, 2 tbsp
- beef fat/unused leftover beef cut (very optional this just add flavor and more protein)
- heat pan in medium heat,
- add 1 tbsp oil when hot and pour eggs to make soft scrambled egg. set aside.
- add 1 tbsp oil, high fire. Add the beef fat and scallion till rendered and add the tomato, let slightly soften but not too mushy and season with salt and pepper.
- stir and add water and mushroom stock powder, stir again till simmer then add the scrambled eggs, mix.
- add corn flour mix and stir till thickens, taste and season again as you like.
- serve best with hot rice, extra pepper / chili oil.